10 Tips for Playing Golf in the Rain
Even if you are playing in Sunny Southern California, you eventually will play in the rain. For most people, this enjoyable game will become unpleasant but it could also be great if you know how to handle yourself in the rain. Here are 10 tips that will surely help improve you game when it's pouring.
- Waterproof Gear - Having waterproof golf gear is almost a must. Rain gloves (Footjoy makes some) are great. pants and jackets that waters slide off is a must.
- Keep Your Hands Dry - Always keep your hands dry. This means wiping your hands with a towel every time you see water in your hands. It's not so much your hands that needs to be dry. It's more important for you to not get your grips wet.
- Get an Umbrella - This helps shield the wind and rain from getting to you and your clubs. You can also hang your gloves and towels inside so you have easy access to them.
- Wear a Hat - Not only to stay warm and dry but it keeps the water out of your face
- Bring Extra Towels, and Gloves - You will need it. Guaranteed. Always put towels on the top of your bag so you can wipe the shaft when you put your clubs back in the bag.
- Keep Those Grips Dry - Non slippery grips are going to be key to good golf in the rain. Always wipe your grips and shafts dry as the grip is the only part of the golf club that you have contact with!
- Rain Hood for Your Bag - An extra rain hood is sometimes necessary as well. The more layers you have on your bag, the harder it is for your clubs to get wet.
- Take Your Glove Off When You Aren't Hitting a Shot - If you are wearing it, rain will get on it. Instead, take it off every time you aren't touching golf clubs and hang it inside the umbrella.
- Know How the Rain Affects Your Game - When it's raining, the balls don't roll as far and it also won't spin as much. Depending on how your shot trajectories are, it will require some adjustments. Make sure you are at least semi familiar with how your game will be in the rain before you start competing in a tournament during the rain.
- Don't Rush - It's extremely easy to start rushing when it's raining but remember to focus and hit the best shot that the situation allows.
With these 10 tips, I bet your rain game will improve. Maybe, you will start enjoying the rain because you will have an advantage as others will play worst than they usually do!